Is DID responsible for pipe water problem?

DID is not responsible for your domestic or industrial water supply since DID is only responsible for irrigation water supply for the farmers. Please contact the relevant authorities such as State Water Works Department, the Public Works Department or the appropriate water company / water board which is responsible for water supply in your area.

Who do I complain to for a local drainage or flash flood problem?

Both DID and the appropriate local authorities are responsible for drainage. In general the local authority is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the local drainage system which is mainly of trunk drains and secondary drains. DID is responsible for the rivers which may flow within and outside the local authority areas. Flooding caused by choked drains and culverts fall under the responsibility of the
local authority. Flooding cause by over spilling of drains and rivers due to inadequate capacity is normally the responsibility of DID. In case of doubt please contact the nearest PRO office of DID. DID have PRO office in each state.

Where can I get data on rainfall and river flows?

These information are published annually by the Hydrology Division of the Department of Irrigation and Drainage which is located at the DID Branch at Jalan Ampang (Tel:03- 4256 2657). The Hydrology Division is currently developing a database system called the Hydrologic Information System (HIS) which is able to supply information on-line. DID also collect some information on water quality especially on the sediment load. For more details, refer to: (En. Muzammil : Ketua Unit Operasi Banjir ).

What is MSMA?

MSMA is a comprehensive manual issued by Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) Malaysia in 2000. It is a how-to-do-it guide on the Urban Drainage should be practiced in Malaysia. MSMA stands for “Manual Saliran Mesra Alam” (Manual for Environmentally friendly drainage).

Can anyone apply to use land designated as River reserves?

In general DID does not encourage application to use our river reserves because we need the access any time for emergency repair works as well as for river maintenance. However, we may consider certain applications on a case by case basis.

How do I request for foot bridges?

DID often receive request to construct footbridges or light traffic bridges for the convenience of the local residents. Please write to the PRO of the relevant DID state office. When writing to PRO please include your telephone number as well.

Who do I complain to on river pollution problems?

We appreciate information on the causes as well as sources of river pollution. Since DID is not the enforcement authority on pollution control, we would normally refer enforcement matters to the Department of Environment.

Who do I complain to on rubbish choking the drains?

Please refer this matter to the appropriate local authority responsible for the maintenance of these drains.

Who do I report to about squatters occupying river reserve?

If you see squatters starting to colonise a river reserve, thereby causing filth and river pollution, you may contact DID immediately.DID will get the appropriate authority to remove the squatters as soon as possible.

How can I reach I would like to offer some feedback, suggestions or to lodge complaints?

JPS careline : 603-4289 5505

Website :

Email :